Hi, it’s Anneke De Clerck here today to share some projects featuring the new small Polka Dots stencil. This stencil has a very beautiful and interesting design. It’s different from other dots stencils because of the beautiful extra lines inside the dots.
Below I’m sharing 3 techniques using the small Polka Dots stencil to create backgrounds for cards. But of course you can use parts of the stencil in combination with paint to create layers on your cards or art journal pages as well.
On the first card I’ve used the ‘stamping with a stencil’ technique. The result is a reverse print of the stencil. Love the outcome!
1. Ink up the Polka Dots stencil with Distress Oxides Worn Lipstick, Carved Pumpkin and Abandoned Coral. Stamp with the inkpads directly on the stencil. Spray water on top with a mini mister and put a watercolour card panel on top. Rub over the panel with your hands and wait a few seconds before removing it to let the ink soak into the paper.
2. Stamp randomly with the Alphabet Texture Stamp using Archival Ink Jet Black.
3. Stamp a flower from the Etched Flowers set on a paper scrap using Distress Oxides Worn Lipstick and Carved Pumpkin. Cut out and decorate with machine stitches. Stamp a birthday wish from the Happy Birthday set to the bottom corner. Fold 2 tabs from painted ribbon and attach tabs and flower to the card with 3D tape.
To create the background of the second card I used the new Tim Holtz Distress Resist Spray by Ranger. The Resist Spray is a textured spray that dries clear and is water resistant.
1. Work on a protected area because the spray is very difficult to remove from f.i. a craft sheet. As Tim Holtz recommends I made a spray box from a cardboard box. The upright sides of the box prevent the spray from flying all around and damaging things on your worktable. Put a panel of watercolour paper in the box, lay the stencil on top and spray through the stencil with the resist spray. Rinse the stencil immediately with water.
Let the sprayed layer dry, it only takes a few minutes.
2. Spray Distress Spray Stains Mermaid Lagoon and Twisted Citron on top. Move the panel to blend the colours. Let dry.
3. Stamp a flower from the Fine Flowers Vol 2 set on a scrap of watercolour paper. Colour the print with Distress Ink Twisted Citron, Cracked Pistachio and Mermaid Lagoon using a water brush. Cut out. Stamp the flower one more time - straight onto the background - in order to retain all the details of the stamped image. Glue the coloured flower on top of this print.
4. Finish the card off with a sentiment from the Simple Sayings stamp set.
On the following cards I used the Tim Holtz Distress Collage Medium ‘Crazing’ by Ranger. This medium is a crackle gel and dries translucent with a subtle crackle matte finish.
1. Apply Crazing Medium through the Polka Dots stencil using a palette knife. Let air-dry.
2. Scribble on the background with various colours of Distress Crayons. Use a wet brush or your finger to blend the colours.
3. Stamp the birds on white stamping paper, cut out and adhere to the background.
4. Punch 2 circles out of paper scraps and make a small hole in each circle using a Crop-a -Dile. Stamp a birthday wish from the Happy Birthday set on the pink circle.
5. Wrap black thread around the card and attach the circles as shown.
To make this final card create the same background as for the previous card using different colours of Distress Crayons.
1. Stamp the car and text with Archival Ink Jet Black on white stamping paper and cut out. Colour the back window of the car with Distress Ink Weathered Wood using a water brush. Stamp the leaves from the Carved Leaves Vol 2 using Distress Oxides and cut out.
2. Wrap black thread around the card and assemble as shown.
Darkroom Door Small Stencil: Polka Dots
Darkroom Door Etched Flowers Rubber Stamps
Darkroom Door Fine Flowers Vol 2 Rubber Stamps
Darkroom Door Carved Birds Vol 1 Rubber Stamps
Darkroom Door Classic Cars Rubber Stamps
Darkroom Door Carved Leaves Vol 2 Rubber Stamps
Darkroom Door Simple Sayings Rubber Stamps
Darkroom Door Happy Birthday Rubber Stamps
Darkroom Door Alphabet Texture Stamp
Archival Ink: Jet Black
Distress Oxides: Abandoned Coral, Worn Lipstick, Carved Pumpkin
Distress Inks: Weathered Wood, Twisted Citron, Cracked Pistachio, Mermaid Lagoon
Distress Crayons: Spiced Marmalade, Carved Pumpkin, Worn Lipstick, Picked Raspberry, Victorian Velvet, Mustard Seed, Twisted Citron, Mermaid Lagoon
Distress Spray Stains: Twisted Citron, Mermaid Lagoon
Tim Holtz Distress Collage Medium Crazing
Tim Holtz Distress Resist Spray
Thanks for stopping by!