Looking for a great way to colour swatch your art supplies? Our blank Filmstrip Stamp is a great stamp to use as a swatching stamp. Connie Mercer had this fabulous idea to use it to swatch out her collection of Distress Oxide Ink Pads and wanted to share this idea with other crafters. The Filmstrip Stamp gives an eclectic and unique design to the art of swatching!
Here’s how Connie created the swatches:
1. Gather supplies: Filmstrip Stamp, Archival Jet Black ink pad and white cardstock cut to 7 1/2" x 2". Go to Ranger Ink website and print out the color chart of the ink you are swatching. This will act as your labels for the Filmstrip sections. They are the perfect size and will save lots of time too.
2. Stamp Filmstrip stamp onto your white strips of card stock. Depending on the amount ink colours, will depend on how many Filmstrips you will need to stamp. I did 12. I used a stamp platform to duplicate each Filmstrip perfectly.
3. Gather inks to be swatched.
4. Take the stamped Filmstrips and punch a hole in the top for an O ring. I used the Crop-A-Dile/Big Bite and punched 6 at a time. I centered the hole and marked with a pencil.
5. Take the colour chart (printed from Ranger Ink) and trim the names out. I cut them in strip from the printed out sheet. Then cut each name off separately.
6. I laid out the Filmstrip images and glued each name above a section of the Filmstrip. This is the part that takes the most time. I used Dual Tip Glue Pen by HomeHobby by 3L
I swatched one strip at a time. This part was fun and enjoyed creating each strip. I put a little colour on my non stick mat and a squirt of water. Using a water brush the colour was applied to the Filmstrip section.
Another idea is to stamp the Filmstrip Stamp into an art journal and create swatch pages too. You can swatch any of your art supplies, inks, watercolours and more!
Thanks for stopping by the blog today!
Filmstrip Color Swatches
Kathy Crum on 24 February 2021Hi Connie! I just wanted you to know what a fabulous idea this is. I really love Darkroom Door stamps and will be ordering these filmstrip stamps! I can't wait to receive these so I can do my swatches. Can you give me heads up with a US store that carries a good selection of these stamps. You are such a talented artist and I'm so glad you are working with DD stamps! Kathy Crum