Watercolour Wildflowers Cards

Darkroom Door - Wednesday, April 05, 2017
Hi, I'm Heather Telford and I am so happy to be sharing another project on the Darkroom Door blog today.  


 
I used two sets to put this card together; floral images from Wildflowers Vol 2 stamp set and vintage details from Correspondence. I began by taping down a piece of hot pressed watercolour paper so it wouldn't warp too much once wet. Then I spritzed water over it and inked a flower stamp from Wildflowers Vol 2 in spiced marmalade, scattered straw and peeled paint distress stains. I stamped it on the wet watercolour paper then spritzed the paper some more so the colour spread and bled all over the panel. Once it had dried somewhat but was still a bit damp I inked the floral stamp with three flower heads in spiced marmalade and peeled paint. I stamped onto the damp paper and let it dry completely. The result was a soft watery background image. 
 
I un-taped the panel and placed it in a stamp positioner to do the next flowers. I picked the stamp with a single bloom and stamped first the flower head in spiced marmalade, then the base of the petals in rusty hinge and finally the stem and leaves in peeled paint stain. Using the stamp positioner gave me the chance to stamp one colour into the next rather than mix them on the stamp. I bent the head of the same flower stamp then repeated the process again. Once the flowers dried I partially inked the letter, postmark and 'from the desk' stamps from the Correspondence set in vintage photo and added them over the floral stamping. To add to the aged look I splattered some water, vintage photo stain and some gold wink of luna ink over the panel. To assemble the card I wrapped the panel with linen thread, matted it in brown cardstock and attached to a natural card base. 

 
Supplies Used:
Darkroom Door Wildflowers Vol 2 Rubber Stamp set
Darkroom Door Correspondence Rubber Stamp set
Distress Stains: Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Rusty Hinge, Scattered Straw, Vintage photo
Linen thread
Hot pressed watercolour paper
Brown cardstock
Gold wink of luna pen
 

I used a similar technique to create this scene with cattails. I began by adding stain to a wet piece of watercolour paper, this time scattered straw, spiced marmalade, peeled paint and broken china. I spritzed water over the panel so the colours would soften and fill the background. While the panel was damp but not soaking wet I inked the cattails stamp in vintage photo and peeled paint stain and stamped them a couple of times. The images bled into the damp paper to create the look of movement. Once the panel was dry I stamped again over the top in the same two colours. 
 
To finish the card I wrapped linen thread around the card base and attach the watercolour panel over the top.
 
Supplies Used:
Darkroom Door Wildflowers Vol 2 Rubber Stamp set
Distress Stains: Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Scattered Straw, Vintage photo, Broken China
Linen thread
Hot pressed watercolour paper

Thanks so much for stopping by today!



Comments

Godelieve Tijskens commented on 05-Apr-2017 07:34 PM
How gorgeous! Always love Heather's watercolor cards.
Autumn commented on 06-Apr-2017 11:05 PM
WOW! What an amazing effect. I have always spritzed my inked stamps with water, but never stamped onto wet paper. I can't wait to try this! I adore your beautiful stamping! <3

Post a Comment

Captcha Image

Links
  Save RSS feed

  Shop
  Facebook
  Twitter
  Google+
  YouTube
  Pinterest
  Instagram
  Flickr