Continuing on with our guest artist Gillian Hamilton, here's another fabulous journal! Feast your eyes on this one!
Moleskin Journal ~ Dance like no one is watching
Moleskin Journal, collections Elements Chipboard House, Versafine Onyx Black ink pad, Black ribbon, Vintage Lace, Antique Mother of Pearl Button, Black thread, sewing machine, Glue Stick, PVA Glue, Black Stranded Embroidery Thread, Double sided tape
Method of construction ~ house
- Using a Glue Stick completely cover the chipboard house with glue
stick glue side down onto the wrong side of Allegro Printed Paper (on the 'unpatterned' part of the paper) Roll over with your Brayer (or rolling pin) this really helps the glue work better at holding the paper and gets rid of any glue lumps or air bubbles.
Trim the edges with a pair of scissors, and file excess off with a large nail file
- Mask the 'house' part of the chipboard house with a piece of scrap paper, leaving only the roof section exposed, Ink the Large Flourish stamp from DDRS019 with black ink and stamp the 'roof' section of the house.
- Ink the Lady from DDRS011 with black in and stamp on the 'house' section (she makes the most elegant corner)
Stamp the 'Dance like no one is watching' Stamp from DDRS011 onto a scrap from your Allegro Printed paper, hand trim with scissors and ink in the black ink.
- Adhere it to the house using a glue stick, cover with a clean piece of scrap paper and brayer the piece you have just glued on.
- Ink up the small flourish from DDRS012 and stamp Repeatedly down the opposite side of the house to the lady and along the bottom edge until you meet up with the bottom of the lady stamp.
Stamping over the edge of the 'Dance like no one is watching' piece.
This is a fabulous stamp, for this purpose, make sure you reink it each time you stamp with it so the pattern remains consistant in colour.
- Ink the outside edge of the house in Black ink
- Using PVA glue, lightly glue some German Scrap Small Scallope border inbetween the roof and the house section.
- Using your sewing machine, stitch with black thread around the inside edge of the house.
- Take a beautiful button that you love, Glue it in place using a small amount of PVA glue
Using a sewing awl or large bodkin needle, and using the button holes as a guide poke the holes so you can sew the button on. I know the button has been glued on already, but it really looks so much nicer if you take the 2 minutes to sew it on as well.
- Put the house to the side for the moment.
Covering the Journal
- Take Your Moleskin Journal or something similar.
- We are just going to be adhering the paper to the top, Using your glue stick, cover the entire top of the journal with glue, and also the spine.
- Put the journal glueside down onto the back of the Legato printed paper (make sure you have the paper the right way up!) Rub it with your hand, to make sure you have no lumps or creases.
- Rub the back side of the journal now with the glue stick, remember to check that the spine has glue too.... and carefully flip the journal over so that both sides are now covered with paper. roughly trim the excess paper off.
- Using your brayer, give the journal a rub over, so that the glue works well on the cover.
- Not too close to the spine however, because we don't want to crease it.
- AVOID opening the cover too much while the glue is drying.
- Take a 8cm strip of San Marco Printed Paper, using your glue stick completely cover the back of it and adhere it to the journal as shown. trim the excess off
- Using some double sided tape, tape some flat 4cm wide lace onto the San marco Paper.
- Then using more double sided tape adhere some Black ribbon onto the top of the lace (covering where the double sided tape is, so you can't see it) Allowing enough length for tying your bow at the side of your journal.
- Stitch a little of the way along the length of the ribbon on the front and back of the journal just to hold it securely.
- Then Stitch along the sides of the journal just where the San Marco Paper is both on the front and back.
- Using PVA Glue, Adhere the house to the Journal, and weigh it down with some heavy books to set the glue and make sure it attaches nicely.
- Tie your bow at the side of the journal.
Fantastic Gillian! You're rockin' those stamps and papers!!
Please drop by again tomorrow to see Gillian's final project :)